Sunday, October 30

Vets Park Day 2 - Better

Day 2 started better from the moment I got out of bed. I felt rested and looser. Got to the race in plenty of time for the normal prep. I was feeling much better than yesterday, but still could tell something was off with my power. During the preride my thighs felt heavy on the climb and run up. The rest of the coarse things felt good. The plan going in today was to stay with the leaders and feel out the first two laps. If I was feeling strong the attack was coming on the climb during lap 3. If I could get a gap here there was little time before the Start / Finish to recover and pull me back. The plan didn't get tested. The whistle blew and David Johnson grabbed the whole shot and kept the pressure on. He quickly got a good gap and never looked back. The race was on for the remaining two steps. Osgood, Bailey, Hilditch and I roll through lap 1 together.

Lap 2 Osgood makes the first attempt to pull make Johnson. He attacks past Bailey and puts in a great turn of the pedals, but Simon reacts and brings us back together. All 4 of us hit the climb, then the barriers, but something happens to Bailey and Hilditch? I find myself chasing Osgood and possibly a spot on the wood. I manage to catch John and we start lap 3 together.

Lap 3 I have a small bobble and this is when things head backwards. Going through the 'S' curves, at the start of the lap, I take a tighter line than John and find myself heading for the side of his rear wheel. I have to check my speed and loose momentum at the wrong time. He stands to crest the climb and I am suddenly back 4-5 bike lengths. This gap stays consistent until we hit the back climb and run up. Osgood is stronger and starts gaining ground. I try and bring him back for the next 2 laps, but the gap keeps stretching a little bit each lap.

Lap 6 I'm really starting to feel tired and drained. My lead on Bailey is starting to shrink. The climb and run up are costing me a lot of time. By the time we round the registration area Bailey is on my wheel and makes the pass before we hit the off camber downhill. This is my moment in this race. Osgood is to far to catch. I stick with Bailey all the way to the climb. One corner, two corners, three corners I'm still on his wheel. The climb straightens out and he stands to keep the pressure on. It works and I can't react. He hits the barriers about 10 yds ahead, maybe I can catch? I bury myself up the climb and remount, but have another bobble. I have to get off and run for some momentum and remount. I stand and dig. I round the registration building and hit the last climb with Bailey just getting to the top making the turn. I still feel hope. Maybe he'll was out on the down hill? Nope. Seeing he made it safely to the bottom I felt it was done. I coast down and soft pedal to the finish. 

It was another great race today. I just didn't have enough. There are still 3 CX races to go so the work isn't done. Congratulations to David Johnson for the win. John Osgood and Simon Bailey for two days on the wood. Jim Hilditch for making the jump up. Tom Clark for the ride both days. Teammate Shaun for cheering me on. Brad Lako for also cheering and holding my stuff. Next weekend is Iceman. It's no secret what my goal is, so let's do it!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous30.10.11

    Great racing this weekend. Even if you felt off, you still stayed focused and never gave up! Awesome... And great write up! -- Osgood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice race!! It awesome to read about your battles with Osgood and crew. See you at Iceman!!

    ReplyDelete