Sunday, October 2

Grampian Challenge

A cold, windy morning is what we had for the first Grampian Challenge start at Addison Oaks. I hadn't ridden since last weeks Rhonde and was feeling tight and tired. I arrived early and breezed through registration, then suited up for a 20-30 minute warm-up. I felt good, but not great. The legs were turning over well, but the power seemed labored. Maybe I just needed some racing motivation to get things going.

I lined up 2nd row behind my teammate Clint Verran. After a quick look around I noticed we had a different group than last weeks Rhonde. Some must be going to the Munson CX, Crybaby or resting up for the Brooksie. Any how, we are off and racing for the next 40'ish miles. The coarse starts on the traditional crosscountry route, but then transfers to 2 track grass after the initial climb. What would become the lead group, is already creating some daylight. Guys are moving forward and back, trying to find there comfort level and a group they can ride with. I manage to exit Addison with a strong group of 6-7. (Adam Naish, Tom Clark, Jim Colflesh, Jim Bonnell and Mike Dega) This group would stay together almost the entire race.

After a short ride down Winkler we turn West on Drahner and start a series of climbs up to Lake George. We can see the lead group and they have about a minute on us already. No big attempt comes to bridge, instead just good tempo and work by 2-3 guys. We make the turn South on Lake George and keep working together. The roads are very wet and muddy, but rolling well. (This is how conditions would be for most of the day.) We turn into the Bald Mountain Trails and some want to be upfront, so we have a bit of bumping and passing. The trail is slick, rooted and slow going. A couple crashes, near crashes and two wheel slides. The group exits the single track together and we are dirt roads again.

Climbing North, up Lake George, Jim Bonnell asks me how I'm doing. "So, so...It comes and goes" I was feeling better, but not great. I wasn't comfortable for sustained periods of time. Mentally I was thinking we have a long race left and will I hold on. Heading towards Markwood I was preparing for the first attack. Markwood is a deceptive climb. It starts of with well packed dirt at a shallow grade then slowly steepens and changes to gravel. About 2/3rds of the way up it's pure gravel and steep. It exits onto Drahner (Grampian Climb) and continues climbing to the highest point in Oakland County. The attack doesn't come? Instead another hard tempo and we hold together. A fast descent and across Lakeville to the Polly Anne Trail.

Once on the Polly Anne, Adam Naish organized a paceline. It wasn't the prettiest thing, but we held it together and made it to Curtis. We are now 20 miles in and things stay the same for the next 15 miles of dirt roads. Each of us takes our turn in the front and on occasion a hard effort gets a small gap, but no one wants to blow the group apart yet. Mile 35 changes that. We are crossing Lakeville Rd and staring up the 'ski hill'.

The 'ski hill' is private property and virgin trail for all. You start by riding through the 500-600 foot parking lot then up single track. This is were my race fell apart. Adam and Tommy were leading us, followed by Jim C, Jim B, 2 guys from O2 then me. We also started catching some 20 mile racers on the climb, which luckily didn't cause any problems for us. All the way up the climb our group was breaking apart and I kept sliding back. I got stuck a couple times. Once by a guy who had tire spin and went down, then again by a slower climber. That's racing, but the gap grew. I could see Adam, Tommy and the two Jims ahead while going down the service road and thought maybe they would regroup and not hammer up Drahner. They turned up Drahner for the last time and I was 20-30 seconds back.

37 miles, 2:18:00 minutes in and one BIG climb left. I saw the group ahead crest Drahner. I could see them making the left hand turn on the descent, but that would be it. I dug deep and tried to catch. I'm coming to the Lake George intersection and can see the volunteer. I'm 150' away when he gives me the big hand to STOP! I break and slow, but thankfully no complete stop. The car passes and I'm back on the gas. Right hand turn into Addison for some added single track.

The trails are slick and my goal is catch who I can. I manage to improve 2 more spots before reaching the finish line.

It was a tough race and I had a great time. The group of guys I was with worked well together and made the day that much more enjoyable. Thanks to Tommy, Adam, Jim, Jim and Mike.

Thanks to those who put on the Grampian and thanks for the glass. Next up is the 12 Hours of Addison Oaks. I've never done a 12 hr. before so let's see what happens. .

No comments:

Post a Comment