Wednesday, October 19

P2P - A Tough Afternoon

Going into the weekend I had high hopes. I knew the competition would be tough and meeting certain goals would be even tougher. There are different racers and the field is deeper. I had a good pre-ride the day before and slept well, but was missing the overall excitement of race day. I spent the morning in my room, waiting for the rain to end, watching HBO and slowly getting ready for the 12:34 P.M. start. I got on the bike around noon and slowly warmed up. I felt good and was happy with how my legs felt. 12:25 and time to head over for staging. The start time is pushed back 15:00 minutes, so more spinning. Finally get in the shoot and position in the second row behind Rob Selle and next to Tim Collins. Both ride for Main Street Bicycles and consistently finish faster than me, so I figured if I wanted a podium I better stick with them for as long as possible. The whistle blows and so it begins.

Tim has a tough time clipping in and pinches me over, I lose Rob's wheel and get shuffled back slightly. Heading up the cart path I'm about 8-10th and feel relaxed. Only one guy is off the front and nobody is bringing him back. The group is about 6-8 strong and heading for the sand. Moves start quickly on the wider trail, as some guys slow a bit and others position themselves for the single track. I stay with the moves and enter the single track in about 5-6th. The trail is clear of leaves, but it's damp, muddy and slow. You have to work for every pedal stroke. There is little roll and it feels like a false flat. Midway through this section we start catching 30-39 experts and the leaders are able to make a pass that I can't. They slowly pull away and I wounder if I can pull them back.

Climbing out of the valley I have clear trail and try to bridge back. I'm moving well and passing riders about every half mile. Entering the 'Pines' runway I hear a group behind, so I pull over and let them through. It's lead by Tim and is about 5 guys strong. I get on the tail end and stay in line until we reach the 'Climb'. The group gets a small gap, but I stay calm and ride my own pace. I catch by the top and follow Tim across the Start / Finish for the completion of lap 1.

The first 3rd of Lap 2 was spent behind Tim. He was keeping a great pace and I was happy to be holding. He pulled Rob Selle back and they started working together. I stayed 3rd wheel, but this didn't last, once up the valley climb Tim called for me to pull. I told them I'm trying but the pace is high. Rob gives me a slap and it's my turn. I pull until we hit about 2 miles to go. I take a bad line around the S curve sand pit and they pull through. I drop about 8 bike lengths and try to get back. It never happens. Going up the 'Climb' I get within 20 yards of Tim, but can't close the gap. Tim and Rob start lap 3 at 7 seconds ahead.

I realize if I don't catch them quick I'm in trouble. I give chase and dig deep. They are within site, but I still can't close. I hit the sand, the wind hits me and I realize they are pulling away. My legs are losing power and I start wondering about conserving my race. I tell myself that everyone is hurting, keep going, don't stop. I'm singing Rocket Man and trying not to think about what's left. I'm cracking! I'm still catching riders and not getting past, but I feel alone. Through the 'Pine' runway one last time and a rider passes. One more effort as I hold on for a mile. Pop! He's gone. I cross the asphalt and I'm heading for the last 'Climb'. I cramp on the teaser and have to run up. I'm spent and try to get motivated for one last bit of pain. I turn right and instantly find the easiest gear. Only 1/3rd they way up and I can barely pedal. I hit the steeper section and jump off, as I do Mike Seaman passes. I slowly run and try to stay with him. I hold on until 150' from the final descent. He surges ahead, no reaction from me, I just want to finish. I have nothing left. My final lap was a 50:15. 5 minutes slower than lap 2. It cost me 2 places.

This race has always been tough for me. I will keep coming back until I feel I have won. It's more than a result. I don't feel like I have ever had a complete race at Peak 2 Peak. Next up, it's back to Cross and Mad Anthony!

No comments:

Post a Comment