Sunday, October 23

Mad Anthony - Could I Repeat?

Last year, this race is were my CX season turned around. Racing in the B class, it was my first Cross win. Could I do it again? The race would be 60 minutes vs 45 and with most of the top Tailwind Series guys in the house I had my work cut out. David Johnson was the only one not there. While doing my warm up I noticed Jim Hilditch in the B's, so I was wondering why he moved back down after racing Linden in Masters. Then at staging I saw Simon Bailey was racing up with A's. That left Rob Selle and John Osgood as the ones to watch.

Lap 1 was quick but not blistering. I'm not sure how big the group was but I know we were at least 5 deep. Adam Naish was even in the mix on his rigid mtb. On lap 2 along the grass straight, just after the sandbags, Adam was falling back slightly from the leaders of Selle, Osgood and Auger? I moved around and pulled them back. We all entered the Fort together. While going up the pavers climb, Osgood seemed off. I pulled along side and tried for the pass, but it didn't stick. I got back in line and we finished lap 2, Selle, Osgood, Auger then me.

Lap 3 we are going well and keeping a strong tempo. There's a wait and see feeling until we hit the long asphalt straight. Tom Burke suddenly appears and comes around us? He must have missed his start or had a mechanical. Selle puts in a surge and gets on his wheel. Osgood and I react and make the move. We hit the grass and are heading for the soccer field climb. The pace is still high as we hit the climb, Selle is determined to stay with Burke as long as possible. Osgood weakens on the climb and I make my move around. Now on Selle's wheel I wait to see if he can hold Burke? He begins loosing ground about halfway across the grass ridge towards the river. I'm feeling strong and decide this is it. I need to try and get on Burke's wheel and crack these guys. I put in a surge all the way around the soccer fields, but don't know if I made a gap. As I'm winding through the tape before the moat I hear people cheering Osgood and Selle, I take a quick look and think I have about 5-8 sec. I never look back. I hit the moat and give another surge, tying to maximize my lead before we enter the fort. Once inside I can see my lead is holding and I need to keep the pressure on. Lap 3 is done, know I need to hold on.

Laps 4 and 5 are more like time trials. I manage to catch some A riders on the long grass and asphalt and use them for some relief against the head wind, but I can't get to comfortable because they are still chasing from behind. Once inside the fort on lap 5 I saw my gap had grown. I didn't see anyone come through the tunnel before heading up the pavers climb. Then it happened.....I dropped my chain over the barriers. I tried getting on by hand first, then decided to pedal it on. It seemed like forever before it was fixed and the next climbs was a grind having lost all momentum. Completing the lap I saw Selle and Osgood on the out back. I was getting worried.

Lap 6 and 7 are about holding the lead, trying to ride smart and hit my marks on the coarse. My lines were working great and my handling was feeling very comfortable. Going into the wind on the grass and asphalt I focused on riding a strong tempo without blowing up. Hit the climb spinning and ride across the ridge hard. More tempo until the fort, then ride smooth. It worked out and I held on for 1st. It felt great!

This picture is of the 10-14 Junior racers. They had HEART! Both finished, but I wasn't sure that would be the case. The kid in the red was near tears on the last lap when we saw him on our pre ride. Tom Clark and Rob Selle were great talking to him and offering to help him finish. He managed to do it on his own though. Awsome!

Thanks to everyone for the congratulations. I hope it goes like last year and this is just the beginning. Next week is Vets Park, so we don't have long to wait.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous24.10.11

    Great ride recap, congrats on the win.
    The boy in red is my son Ben, I want to thank everyone for keeping an eye on him and for the great encouragement. It really made his day.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete