Sunday, October 3

Munson Park- Night CX

This was my first trip to Munson Park and I'm glad I made the trip.  Earlier in the day I was debating if I should make the drive. I over did training this week and my legs were blown until Friday.  The boys cub scout popcorn sales started and we were in charge, plus soccer, the rainy weather and my new untested wheel upgrades. In the end I decided I needed the distraction.

After a hour drive I'm at the venue and quickly get my number and try to beat the start of the 'C' race so I can figure out the new wheels and tubular tires. I didn't make it, so I waited for the race to end before I could get on coarse and started warming up on the park roads. Half hour later and the coarse is open to pre-ride.  The new carbon wheels and tubular tires felt fast and more forgiving, but the air pressure was off and the carbon breaking was different.  I made some adjustments and then headed to the line.

I lined up second row behind Ben, from Maple Leaf Racing, and waited for the whistle. (Off we go) I have trouble clipping in and get shuffled back to about 12th.  It's time to start chasing and taking some chances. Mistake one happens on the descent down the sled hill. I'm going to fast and lock the breaks into the turn and start a two wheel slide into the tape. No crash, but I loose a few spots.  I attack like crazy on the first long straight and pass several guys.  Mistake two happens half way through lap one, on a 180 turn.  I go in hot and the front wheel slides out.  I don't lose any positions, but 3rd place gets a gap and 1st and 2nd have a healthy lead. GO-GO I scream in my head.  I hit the run up and see 3rd just ahead.  I get to the top and notice he has dropped a chain and is try to remount it.  I get past him and am now in 3rd with my sights on the leaders.  I attack for the next 4 laps with no success of closing in.  I realized I need to conserve 3rd and wait for another day.

My next cross race isn't until Halloween Weekend, so between now and then I will spend more time on the cross bike trying to figure things out.  I know I can win a CX race this year. Just when is unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment