Monday, September 20

Double Cross Weekend

Two days of racing to kick off the cyclocross season at Waterford Hills Raceway.  For my first full season I am racing in the 'B's' (Cat 2,3,4) and aiming for top 5 or higher finishes.  The competition is broader, because of the open format and guys come from all ages and cycling disciplines. 

Day 1- Saturday morning I awoke to rain and checked the radar to see how long it may last.  It looked like a rainy 11:00 start.  I wasn't fully prepared for the rain, so warm-up was going to be wet. (skip ahead)

I heard the warning whistle and headed over to the start line.  When I arrived there was already about 20+ guys lined up.  I saw a opening in the second row and snuck in.  The 'GO' whistle blew and we are off on 6 laps of slick very wet conditions.  I get a good start and going into the first turn I'm with the leaders.  The remaining of lap 1 we stay together and I come across 5th going into lap 2.

Lap 2 I am feeling good (not great) and feel I can hang with the lead group, but heading over the barriers I catch my front wheel and loose momentum.  I spin around, clear the second barrier, remount, and clip in.  I look up and the group has gaped me off.  It's only about 5-6 seconds so I try and bridge back.  By the time I start lap 3 the gap has opened up to 15 seconds.  Mentally I'm loosing the will to fight, I start looking at the race behind and not getting caught for the next 3 laps.  I stay in the middle and finish 6th of 30 for the day.

Day 2- I have a top 3 goal for the day and hope I don't have any mistakes. The weather is dry and sunny. The coarse is in great shape and I get in a good warm up. I hear the warning whistle, so I head to the car to loose the vest and warmers and arrive at the start line.  It's even worse than yesterday. I'm in the third row behind 35 other guys.  I line up on the far right side and know I have to fight for the first lap or 2. The 'GO' whistle sounds and I need to wait about ten yards before we clear the start banner before I can swing right and move down the line.  Once we do I keep the power on quickly pass half the field.  We hit the grass and I know I still need to quickly move up.  I get by a couple more guys, but then we hit a tight 'S' section and things jam up to a stand still.  I stay calm and wait for the coarse to open up again.  I pass a couple more guys and set my sights on groups ahead.  At the end of lap 1 I'm 13th-15th and 15 seconds off the leaders.

Laps 2-5 are spent chasing and never looking behind.  I didn't want to settle for where I was.  I wanted to put it all on the table and see what happens.  I stood and attacked out of corners and on hills.  Going down the Start / Finish straight I tucked low and bury myself.  It was working! I could see the lead group of 3 coming back.  They where playing tactics and by the middle of lap 5 I was back on the train. 

Lap 6 & 7- On lap 6 I just sat on to recover and watch the other riders.  I was seeing who looked strong when and where.  I liked my chances and was planning my attack for the final lap.  I moved up to second wheel for the beginning of the bell lap and decided to attack early. When the coarse turned uphill I went. It would be 5 minutes all out!  Could I make it stick?  I got the jump and was now leading.  Even though there where u-turn sections I wasn't sure what the gap was or how many where behind.  I had tunnel vision and only new someone was there because of noise and cheering.  Coming into the last barriers Ryan made the pass.  He got about a bike length on me and put the hammer down.  I didn't loose ground, but wasn't gaining. Through the last set of curves before we hit the asphalt straight.  Ryan stands and launches his sprint and I follow.  After 10-15 revolutions I knew I was beat. He held his lead to win by less than 2 seconds.  Congratulations Ryan, what a great race.

I learned a lot this weekend about cyclocross and myself.  I am happy overall with the results and am going to plan and train smarter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment