Saturday, October 23

Mad Anthony CX - Interesting

Racing in Detroit was INTERESTING in so many ways.  First it was the scenery you encounter when exiting the highway.  Burnt houses, graffiti and person on the corner with a sign saying they need money.  Images many think about when you here 'Detroit'. 

Second was the coarse. It was my first race here, so I'm not sure how different it was from last year.  The coarse was a blend of cyclocross and a road crit.  In my opinion it favored a power rider who could take advantage of the long, straight flats.   It also transitioned between several different surfaces, which made for some cautious corners.

Third was the prizes for winning.  You would receive a handmade pottery mug, a pint glass from 'Made in Detroit' and a six pack of beer. (All Lovely Prizes)

On to racing- I lined up on the front row and was ready for the whistle.  Going into the first turn I was 4th-5th wheel and feeling good.  Everyone settled in until the asphalt straight.  Some attacks came and guys moved around, but I held my ground and made it safely onto the grass and over the first climb.  I was able to ride it clean and gained a spot.  I would hold 3rd through lap 1. 

Quickly into lap 2 things changed. Once we past the curb and were back on the grass by the parking area, guys started letting up a bit.  A guy from Racing Greyhounds took over the lead and I was now second.  I sat on down the asphalt stretch and though the grass and fell back a bike or two before the first steep climb on the coarse.  He bobbled on the climb and I made it up clean again.  I decided to attack and get rid of him if I could.  It worked.  I was leading, but someone was still on my wheel.  It was Ben from Maple Leaf Cycling!  He is a strong rider and I wasn't sure if could pop him.  We enter the Fort and I stand and hammer ALL the hills.  I get a gap on the second steep hill and am ahead by 10-15 bikes by the barriers.  I'm over clean and need to hit him now.  Through the start /finish I'm in 1st with 3 to go.

Shortly into lap 3 things change again.  While making the 180 turn behind the Fort I see Ben on the ground.  He went down!  I complete the turn and attack again.  I go as hard as I can for the next quarter lap.  Once I round the field I can see that Ben is gone, he must have had a bad crash or mechanical (I found out later it was a mechanical).  The next guy I see is the Racing Greyhound and he's about 45 sec-1 minute back.  I still feel strong and keep pushing to the start / finish.  Laps 4 and 5 go without incident.  I check my gap on occasion and ride my race.  I finish the race with my first cyclocross win.

Next weekend is the two days at Vets Park in Ann Arbor.  The coarse is a nice blend of power sections, long run ups and off cambers.  I'm feeling good and need to have a strong weekend so I can move up in the points series.

No comments:

Post a Comment