Monday, October 18

Peak 2 Peak - handicap racing

This past weekend I drove up North to Crystal Mountain for my 4th Peak 2 Peak race.  I look forward to this race every year because everything is at one resort and that makes for some stress free racing, if there is such a thing. The weather was excellent with temps in the 60's, but I was disappointed that the Fall colors were past their peak. 

Friday's pre-ride went well, but I was a little tight and a bit concerned about my fitness going into Saturday. 

Saturday morning ran smooth with most of my attention on my buddy J running in the sport race.  He had big expectations and fought hard all race.  It was a blast watching the race unfold and he finished 5th having had his best race of the year.  A quick change and it was time to warm up before my 12:32 start.  I felt 'off'.  The leg speed was good, but I could feel my thighs on the climbs?  I started doubtting my chance of a podium and the nerves began to creep in.  After 20 minutes I relaxed a bit and headed over to the start.  When I got there I saw Adam (the eventual winner) and he let me slide in next to him.  We talked for a couple minutes then it was time to get serious.  We got 30 sec., 15, 10, GO!  The new uphill start was a nice change and it was a dogfight to the left hand turn.  After the turn I was 5th or 6th and thought we would settle in, but on the descent before the cart path guys were attacking up the sides and I couldn't loose position so I needed to get back in place quick.  On the cart path I attacked back up to 4th or 5th and then 'Lady Luck' gave me the finger.  On the grass transition from the cart path to the asphalt road my cassette gathered a whole cluster of debris.  My bike started skipping gears and I couldn't find one to stick.  I tried cleaning it on the fly but it was too thick.  My only option was to get off and clean it.  The whole process took about 20-30 sec., but by the time I remounted and started going the whole 46 man field was already off the road and out of sight.

  The chase is on!  I have very little choice but go balls out and see what happens.  Shortly after getting into the single track I encounter my first riders.  Left! Left! I keep passing and catching and by the end of lap 1 work my way up to 9th and passing some 30 riders.  Lap 2 I'm in the zone, feeling great and by the end have caught 5th place.  When lap 3 starts he is 5-10 seconds ahead and seems reachable.  For the next half lap I try to catch him but I can't.  I slowly loose sight of him and by the time we reach the Betsie River Valley he's gone.  My legs start loading up and aren't turning over as quick.  I begin to fear the worst.  I've hit the wall!  Riders start catching me from behind and passing.  I fight to stay with them for as long as I can.  Telling myself I only have 15 minutes left.  One group rides away and another catches.  The cycle repeats over and over.  Once through the 'Pines' I decide to stay with the next group to the finish.  I succeed only to the base of the first steep climb.  When I stand to push harder my inner thighs seize! I have to get off and walk! I remount and pedal to the top of the final climb.  Just before the final descent I'm caught by Jay and another rider in my group.  We make it together to the final turn and have to sprint it out.  We hold positions and I am finally done.  A tough 8th place finish.

This was one of the toughest races I've done in a long time.  I wanted to quite, cry, laugh and sing all in one race.  That's racing.  Afterward it was a nice hot shower and hanging out with friends.  I look forward to sitting on top of the mountain, listening to live music and looking at the landscape below.

The next couple weeks will be filled with cyclocross until the final CX at Iceman.  See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment