Wednesday, September 8

Wednesday Night Short Track

This evening I made my way to Lake Orion High School for the Short Track Race and some cyclocross training. I didn't know what to expect from the coarse or my body.  I put in a good amount of riding over the Labor Day weekend and was still recovering.  The 'A' race was 14 deep w/ some notable CX Elite and Masters guys, so I knew it would be a tough 35 minutes.  The coarse was a nice blend of leg zapping grass, off cambers and short attacking hills.

The race starts and quickly I realize that today is not the day to dance with these guys.  I settle in and try to hold on.  I get gaped off and spend the remaining 30+ minutes chasing.  Laps 2 and 3 are spent battling with myself. Lap 4 I see John Osgood 75-100 yards ahead when I come out of the woods and decide I need to try and real him in.  I dig and dig but I don't think I'm gaining.  Through the woods I can't see or hear him.  I hit the final climb and attack the whole way up.  I come out with John just making the turn around the football field.  I hit the grass and attack again.  I gain some ground, but once he hits the down hill I am too far to close.  He takes me.  I think I wound up mid-pack in 6th.  No regrets and I walked away learning something new. 

The next LOHS Short Track is in 2 weeks.  I'll be more prepared then and hope for a better finish.  Congratulations to Jeff Weinert and Clint Verran for a good battle. Dan from RBS, Don Cameron and John Osgood it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment