Wednesday, November 11

Ice Ice Baby

Rolled to Crystal Mountain on Thursday night to sleep and have a Friday morning ride. After that it was time to hit Traverse City for packet pick-up and see how things would flow with the larger turnout. I was surprised at how smooth it went. The atmophere was awsome and people were in a great mood. After pick-up and check-in it was time to visit Brickwheels, for a thinner base layer and free water bottle and then go downtown for dinner. Back in the room by 8:30 and loading the ride bag for morning.

6:45 am - Time for breakfast then off to Kalkaska. Walked outside to 48 deg. and a rising sun. 20 minutes of light warm-up, then it was time to get in line. When I arrived at the start I was again surprised at how smooth things went. I easily got to the third row of my group and enjoyed the coast guard flyover. Chatted with some guys in line, saw JJC to my left ready to race, then it was 2 minutes to start and time to loose the vest and arm warmers.

Go - The race started with a quick sprint for about 50 yards then we settled in for the first left hand turn. I thought this would create some crashes, but everyone was attentive and calling out "LEFT, LEFT". After the turn we caught some head wind and the leaders slowed, allowing the field to swell across the road. This didn't last long, because now it was a race for the dirt. Just before we hit the service road before the school the group strung out 2-3 wide. Now on the dirt it was time to get position and think ahead to the right hand onto the two track. We made the right turn and I decided to stay put on the 'trail' and not power through the grass to move up. After making the next left the coarse opens to 2 track and this is when you have to make some moves. I was about 20-25? and guys were already feeling the start. The small rollers were slowing guys down so you needed to find away around. Feeling great I continue moving forward one guy at a time. Only 25 more miles left -then FLAT!!! WTF!!!

I move off the trail and begin the tube change. I knew it was going to take awhile because just the day before I swapped the rear wheel out. The tire is a bitch to get on the rim. I get the blown tube off and check the tire for debris. Nothing, so I blow the tube to find the leak. It's on the inside? I look inside the tire and see the rim tabe has moved and a spoke hole is exposed. I move it back over and put the new tube in - pump and check to make sure the tires sitting well. It's not. The rim strip is sticking out between the tire and rim? Deflate, move strip and pump again. I check and everything looks good. I call to some riders to see what group is now passing. 50-54 expert. I have lost at least 15 minutes.

Back on the bike I settle in fast, time to go. I am passing people left,right and through the middle. I still feel great and can't believe how strong I feel. I am flying up the climbs and keep the big ring turning over all the way through Williamsburg Rd. The race had it's slower moments. Three of the four single track sections were spent behind slower, less technical riders. My heart rate dropped from 165+ down to the 135-140 range. Sit and wait for things to open back up.
Made it to Timber Ridge and enjoyed the finish. My official time was 2:14:58. I know I could've done a 1:55:00-1:57:00. We will never know for sure. I'll have to wait for next year.

I had a great weekend. Everything went smooth. I drank way too much beer and my friend Jamie had is best IceMan ever. Life is Good. Last 3 Tailwinds Cross races then some rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment