Sunday, November 22

Bloomer Park CX

Before getting out of bed this morning, I knew today's race was going to be rough. Saturday's one hour afternoon preride was the only bike time since Iceman. Too add some additional physical torture Friday night I started skateboarding at Modern Skate and Saturday morning running. Hardly the things I should be doing to prepair for a cyclocross race.

After getting out of bed I realized the trouble I was in. My thighs were blown. Walking down the steps was torture. I needed to hold on to both hand rails and support my body. Oops! Time to loosen up if I could. Breakfast, pack and drive to Bloomer.

Warm up went well and then went to the line. Sitting third (last) row I wasn't sure how the start was going to be. Going into the first right hander the race started having it's problems. Guys scrambling from side to side looking for lines, making for some nervous moments. Coming to the first barrier we were bunched up 3-4 across and getting over and back on quick was going to be important. Once back on it was time to stand and go past as many guys as possible. I continue moving past riders until 2 to go. The lack of training and weeks 'other' activities took their toll.

2 to go. I am loosing the gap up to the Flying Rhinos rider and a rider from Essex Bras, that I had passed earlier, had bridged back and was sitting on. I gave a few attacks on the short grass climbs and out of corners, trying to shake him. Going up the climb behind the velodrome he was still there. I moved over to see if you would come through, but no luck. One last attempt up the velodrome climb and through the off camber. I had a bobble and was out of ideas. I rode comfortably for the rest of the lap and decided to start the sprint a little early. Just before we hit the final asphalt I started my sprint on the grass, trying again to get a small gap. Just onto the asphalt he pulls along side and starts clicking the gears. I put my head down and bury myself for about 10 strokes, but he is pulling away and I have nothing left. I gave my all and can't complain. I finished 13 of 29.

My wife and kids came to see me, so that was nice. Also, thanks to Jeff and Spike for the support. A couple weeks to the State Championships and I'm not sure what to think. I'll just wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment