Sunday, November 14

Stony Creek CX - Change is Coming

A cloudy, windy day at Stony Creek today.  Windchill was about 32 deg, but nothing like the start of Iceman last week.  I lined up in the third row because I decided to stay moving rather than stand and shiver.  That lead to a mid-pack position through the first several turns, then I had to battle my way to the front, patiently making passes and chipping away for half the race.  I finally make contact with Brian and decide to sit on and feel him out.  I stay behind through lap 4 and half of lap 5 when he decides that I've been a passenger for too long.  Just past the beach he pulls offline, sits up and tells me to go through.  I'm not sure if this is a tactical move or he's spent, so I give a small attack to the barriers to test his reaction.  He didn't respond.  I decide to put in a strong tempo to build the gap and halfway through lap 5 I see it worked.  I back it off a bit and check my gap, the next 2 laps, to make sure it's holding.  I cross in 1st place for my 3rd CX win of the season.

By the numbers: Place 1st, Time 45:16, Avg HR 169, Max HR 177, Zone 4 - 6:13 (156-166 bbm), Zone 5 - 38:15 (167-176 bbm), Over 176 bbm - :07.

Next weekend's CX race is at Bloomer Park.  It's only 4 miles from my house and I liked the layout last year.  What does any of this mean?  I'm making a change.  I'm going to race Master 35+ for the last 2 races of the season.  Is this a wise choice?  It depends on what you want.  Do you want a series or State title?  If so, NO!  I haven't clinched the 'B' series and the Masters are faster every weekend.  Do you want to be a stronger, faster rider?  If so, YES!  The best way to get stronger is to race with stronger guys.  When you become the 'big fish in the pond' it's time to find another pond.  I have a short time to make my mark in Masters, with only 2 races left, so I need to focus my training for 3 more weeks and do my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment