Monday, October 1

Kensington CX 1.5 Day

It was finally time for my CX season to start and being at a new venue and not much racing this year I had the race jitters.  I knew J Osgood and Shawn Schaffert have been racing strong and I didn't know who else was going to be racing so I didn't have any real expectations for Day 1 but to get one under my belt.

DAY 1 - I started 2nd row against the tape and thought I was safe from getting pinched but that wasn't so.  Mark Caffyn got a wheel in front and I had to settle back.  The group seemed to hold together for a while and I was content to follow.  We completed lap 1 and the leaders were still 'close' so I remained calm but things soon changed. I was riding behind Andy, not paying attention and a gap had opened.  I couldn't seem to find a good place to get around and had to wait.  Late in lap 2 I make the pass and have lost major ground but have a clear coarse so I but my head down and go. I'm gaining ground on some and can see Shawn slowly coming back. Leading into Lap 4 I'm feeling good and know it's a matter of time before I reach Shawn but then on the back of the coarse my sidewall gives out and 'POP' my race is over.

DAY 2 - I started 2nd row again which had a similar result but today the leaders weren't waiting around, the pace was quicker and the race seemed to blow apart in the first lap.  I made similar mistakes to day one and had to fight again to make up any ground.  I clawed my way up to 6th and had Brian W in my sites but it wasn't going to happen. I couldn't close and that was it.

Not my best races but once again I learned something. Most know what it is so I won't go into detail.  I'll just keep working and trying to improve.  Next couple weeks are back to MTB with Grampian and P2P then back to CX with a place that has been very good to me Mad Anthony.

Great racing Adam York, John Osgood, Don Cameron, Brad Lako and Tom Payn.  Very sold 2 days!

Thanks to Tailwinds for another venue.  Thanks to Tom Clark for the companionship, to and from the race. each day and Thanks to all who cheered me on it helps a great deal. Finally to Shaun Welch for the pictures and offering his wheel.

2 comments:

  1. Can you feel it? Great job just getting back on the horse. Stay focused!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JMAK is back - enjoy it man!

    ReplyDelete