Monday, November 7

ICEMAN 2011 - Best One Yet

Another Niceman! So what if there wasn't snow and frozen ground. If you crave that do cross, you'll get your fill. I thought the weather and trail conditions were perfect. I couldn't wait to ride. Like last year, I did a pre ride from Williamsburg to the finish on Friday afternoon. The trail was FAST! It had great roll and the climbs were in great shape. The new sections of single track were way better than I could expect. I was feeling great and ready for Saturday mornings Wave 1 start.

Saturday- The 9:00 A.M. start meant it would still be cold. What to wear was a bit of a mystery, but after the warm up I was sure I made the correct choice of gear. I made it over to staging and found myself in row 4 or 5. This wasn't what I wanted. Looking around I saw some big time talent and was a bit intimidated. I also noticed a few familiar faces so I moved up a row and got behind Brad Lako and John Osgood. I've ridden and raced with them enough and felt this would be a good place to start. The National Anthem is done, the helmet is back on and it's GO TIME!

Away we go for the last XC race of the season. The pavement went well with no crashes and guys being smart. Once you make the left the speed ramps up as guys position for the dirt. We hit the two track and I'm about 30th. I notice Tom Clark and John Meyers off to my right, I need to get behind them and ride this train. The right line is moving faster and I can't get over. I'm getting restless but know I need to be patient, then it happens. On a small sand climb the group comes together and slows. I'm not sure what happened but it splits the group. The heard starts to thin and I'm moving forward, I'm riding smart and holding wheels. I think it's 4-5 miles in and Joberon comes around, Sweet! This guy will help get me to the front. I stay with Joe for the next 23 miles and we both do our share of work. We are catching guys and gaining positions. Somewhere around mile 12 we catch Rob Selle and when we do the pace suddenly slows way down. I was surprised but sat in and waited for the attack, because it had to come from someone. As I'm waiting Osgood joins us and asks what's going on. I say we're taking a break. (Selle, Joberon, Dan Krajcovic, Osgood) The group doesn't react so Osgood decides to push ahead. I follow and we are now coming along side the group leader Selle. Osgood pulls next to Selle but doesn't go by, he's feeling him out. I pull up, look over and decide to have some fun. "This is for bragging rights Bitches!" and I put in a pull. We catch another small group of 2-3 guys along the power lines and I remember that single track is at the end. I pull out of the pace line and put in a hard effort so I can be the first into the single track. I come out first and manage to drop Dan, Selle and Osgood. Joberon and 2 other guys are still with me. Our group works together past Williamsburg and doesn't fall apart until Joe sees his Bell's Bros Lummis and Meyers just before Annita's Hill. He ups the tempo and bridges the gap. I manage to tag along and we catch them. The pace settles and Joe sees how they are feeling. Lummis is spent but Meyers seems OK. We hit the IceBreaker and I move into the lead and try to get the pace up again. Up and over we see Tom Clark and Joe gets another burst of energy and wants to catch. It doesn't happen. I get stuck behind a guy with poor single track skills and Joe gaps me and crosses 10 seconds ahead. I roll in at 1:48:12, my best Iceman ever!

I was so excited. I broke 1:50:00 and  had a great race. I didn't get the win I wanted and I could have done more, but I was nervous to blow up like I did last year. Also, I was riding with some smart guys and thought they knew something I didn't. I learned a lot and will be better prepared for next year. My 2nd / 2nd in a row so next year we need to move up to 1st. Congratulations to Tom Clark on his Win. John Osgood and Joe B for their 2nd places and everyone else for a great race. It was a great weekend. I still have to finish Cross season and hope for a couple more wins there, so stay tuned. This weekend is Stony Creek and some more sand.

1 comment:

  1. Nice job stud!! Please try and drag me out this winter to ride!!

    ReplyDelete