Monday, September 19

Waterford Double Cross - 1 & 2 (Groundhog Day)

What a weekend! I don't know how it looked from the sidelines, but it was a full 90 minutes of racing excitement from between the ribbons.

Before I recap my POV on the racing I'd like to say THANK YOU! The list is in no particular order and if I didn't mention you, tough shit. Just kidding, I'm trying to remember it all. Thanks to.......
Tailwind Racing for a great experience. Things went smooth from registration-awards.
Tom Clark for the muffin.
DC for the kind words. Great job, both days. Glad you made the jump.
Dan Bannink for the great pull on day 2
David Johnson and John Osgood for the great racing and conversation.
Rob Selle for keeping it tough. Nice job on the Win.
Brian W, Tom Payn, Jason Cotter, Shaun Welch and everyone else for cheering.
Everyone who hung out and talked. It was a great scene. No attitudes, just people having a good time.
The whole Masters 35+ group. The racing was tough and clean. Respect too all.

Now for my bias opinion on the Masters 35+ Day 1 and 2. Both days went similar for me, so I'll make day 2 references in (...).

Having moved up to this class late last year I didn't know who to watch, so when I got to the line on Saturday my expectations were mid pack or slightly better. The field of riders was strong and I was marking a couple familiar faces (Osgood, Johnson, Selle, Bailey). The pace was fast off the line and guys were looking for wheels to get behind. Rob Selle (David Johnson) was off the front and had a noticeable gap. The rest of us rode mostly single file once on the grass and settled in for lap one. The lone leader was brought back to the group in lap 2/3 then the next attack would come. On both days this was the one to get on and  I managed to do so. On day 1 it was David Johnson, Osgood and me from mid-race on. We each took our share of the lead and managed to build a good gap on the rest. ( Day 2 was Selle and Me. We built a gap, but Osgood and Johnson weren't far behind). I lead ,both days, into the bell lap.
Once we hit the grass though I was passed and had to fight to get on the wheel.  Day 1 I was sitting 3rd and couldn't get around before the pavement. Osgood lead out and was the stronger sprinter. I finished 2 seconds back in 3rd.
Day 2 I had a short blow up and told Osgood and Johnson to pass. I didn't think I would recover so quick and Selle was pulling away. I managed to hold on and get past Johnson and was closing to Osgood down the final hill, but like day 1 I couldn't catch. 3rd for the second day and another 2 seconds behind Osgood.  Like I said in the beginning, What a great weekend! I raced for 2 days, finished 3rd both days and was only a combined 7 seconds from winning both days. This picture describes my weekend pretty well....Chasing Osgood. It's going to be a tough season and MR. T, I hear you. Time for some suffering! 

No comments:

Post a Comment