Monday, August 9

Pontiac Lake XC

Going into the race I had a handful of rides in the past two weeks.  The longest being 2:45:00, a couple 2 hr, and a couple 1:30:00.  The form seemed to be holding so I was hopeful of a strong ride. 

I made my way to the front line and waited for the whistle.

The race is on.  Whoops, I can't get clipped in and get shuffled back to about 6th or 7th.  I want to make a pass before we cross the two track, but no luck.  The trail opens up before the before the first real climb, so I make a pass.  The trail now clear ahead so I settle into a rythm.  Soon I see Brad on the side of the trail and it seems he has blown a tire.  (Rough break)  Things go well for me the remaining lap.

Lap 2 continues running smooth until just past the air field.  I was alone for sometime and began talking to myself.  I was caught by Paul and Don, leaders of the 40-49, and dug-in to hold their wheels.  It lasted about 5 minutes.  I rode the remaining race alone.

The full rigid setup took it's toll.  My upper body was tired and I wasn't having any fun the last lap.  I just wanted it over. 

Congratulations to Jamie and Adam for the top two steps.

The final numbers are. 2:09:18 for 3 laps. Avg. Hr. 161 / Max 178.  Z3-00:05:16 Z4-01:34:50 Z5-00:29:07

No comments:

Post a Comment